Office de Tourisme d'Istres
Istres - Tourist office
One of the first ever flying schools was founded in 1917 near Istres, which is now mainly known for its air base and its test flight centre, rather than the oval layout of the steeply sloped old town and its very Provençal charm.
The former fortified entrances were demolished before the French Revolution, but the elegant Porte dArles gateway was built in the 18th century. The castle has disappeared; however, the town centre has been patiently restored and has a rather 16th century character.
The church of Notre-Dame de Beauvoir hangs over the town; it is a mixture of styles (Romanesque, Renaissance and 19th century). From the belvedere on its left-hand side, there is a fine view of the town and its approaches.
Located in a 17th century mansion, the Musée du Vieil Istres (Istres Local History Museum), particularly devoted to archaeology, has collections concerning local customs and crafts. It has also a splendid collection of remarkably conserved trademarks painted on amphoras - the labels of Roman merchants.
No visit would be complete without climbing up onto the Castellan oppidum, a former Celto-Ligurian fortress, to have a view over the Olivier Lagoon
- Pets allowed
- Accessible for disabled
Information provided by OT Istres
Where to stay
Résidence de vacances LES HEURES CLAIRES
Nichés dans les pins, avec vue sur l'étang de Berre, le plus grand étang salé d'Europe avec ses 80 kms de littoral, 19 gîtes meublés pour 4/5 personnes accueillent toute l'année, particuliers, familles et groupes en pension complète, demi-pension ou location, en toute convivialité. 2…