Space Van Gogh
Arles - Lieu culturel
Garden open and can be accessed freely during the day
Former Hôtel-Dieu, also called Hôtel-Dieu-Saint-Esprit.
Built in the 16th and 17th centuries, the vast quadrilateral of the Hôtel-Dieu has a two-fold context: a period of prosperity and modernisation by the town on the one hand, and a well affirmed tradition as a local hospital on the other hand. Three wings were raised in 1835 to open up new rooms following a serious cholera epidemic. At the end of the 19th century, the hospital received a remarkable guest, Vincent Van Gogh, who depicted the building in several of his paintings. The establishment was open until the 1970s-1980s. The disused hospital then underwent major renovation work to turn it into a broad-ranging cultural and academic site. During this time, excavations in the basement unearthed extremely interesting remains which added to the knowledge of the town all the way back to protohistory.
The buildings form a quadrilateral around a garden. The ground floor opens onto outside via arches which border a gallery walkway which is also present on the second floor. The façades are severe, with small openings, in keeping with the model for hospitals at the time; hospitals were closed places which must not transmit dangerous 'miasmas' to the outside world. The entire building was topped with wooden timbers (pieces fitted together to support the roof) and trusses (horizontal beams which support the oblique beams on the sides of the roof). The ground floor of the west building housed the ancillary services, including the kitchen fitted with a huge fireplace, the laundry, the linen room and other utilitarian areas. The main entrance to the hospital was on what is now rue Dulau. The solid wood door, rebuilt in 1587 by Antoine Pons, was made of pitch-pine (blend of pine species from North America). It is surrounded by two fluted Doric columns and topped with a triangular fronton. Above it, an inscription commemorates the date on which the building was constructed. This portal is listed as a Historic Monument.
In 1542, the Archbishop of Arles decided to close the town's 32 charitable establishments and bring them together into just one establishment in the town centre. This initial project remained on hold when the Prelate died. A land recovery policy was implemented, partly on the vast Trinitaires site. The first stone was laid in 1573. The construction of the Hôtel-Dieu spanned two centuries, the 16th century for the north and west wings and the 17th for the other two (work of Jacques Peytret). The work of the new establishment (welcome all sick people, abandoned children and orphans) could be carried out principally thanks to generous sponsors, tax revenue from the hospital and aid from the town. The staff consisted of laymen and monks, doctors, administrative and domestic staff and artisans. Two priests assisted the dying. From 1664, the care of the sick was entrusted to the Hospital Sisters of the Order of Saint Augustine. Vincent Van Gogh stayed there briefly in 1888 and 1889 and was treated by Doctor Félix Rey, before being interned in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. Major changes were made to the building in the early 20th century, when it was made to comply with sanitary standards. The Hôtel-Dieu continued to operate until 1974, replaced by Joseph-Imbert Hospital. In 1986, the last medical services left the site, which was then turned into a cultural centre.
In 1986, work began to strip the hospital and transform it into a vast cultural centre intended to house a media centre, the communal archives, the International College of Literary Translators (CITL), a university outpost, a vast exhibition room and a few shops. Following a competition, Denis Froidevaux and Jean-Louis Tétrel were appointed to carry out the renovation work. The two architects used their archive research and the discoveries of a pre-site to adapt their project to the history and original structure of the building. In addition to this structure and the site's mediaeval past, extremely productive excavations uncovered, among other things, a large Roman esplanade (confirming an unknown fact in the town's ancient urban fabric) and a protohistoric necropolis. During this vast operation, the door on rue Dulau was also restored by Férignac in 1988.
Information provided byOT Arles
Place Du Docteur Félix Rey
- 00 00 00 00 00
Where to stay
2 bedrooms - one parental bed 160 x 200, the other with two bunk beds, WC, separate bathroom, air conditioning, TV Wifi, pool, parking for two vehicles.Housing is located in a quiet residential area, close to the city, 15 minutes walk, 5 minute walk from the Museum departmental Ancient Arles, Van…
To the Bibion
In Arles, close to the Camargue, in a quiet street of the village-like Roquette neighbourhood, Philippe welcomes you in calm and comfortable guest rooms. Located just minutes from major monuments and the best restaurants, the Bibion is also near the Ancient Arles Museum. Parking nearby.
In the countryside near Arles, recent home in an enclosed garden with flowers and trees. On the first floor with its own private terrace, suite of 40 m² with space night (1 x 2 pers + 1 x 1 pers) and seating area (sofa, flat screen TV, mini bar). Bathroom (robes supplied). WC. Beautiful Bay…
Bed and breakfast in quiet, at the edge of the Rhône at 5 minutes walk from the city centre of Arles. A lovely room with double bed, a large living room with sofa bed, billiards, darts, TV, fridge, coffee maker, kettle, Wifi, dishes...Garden equipped with a barbecue, a griddle, table tennis,…
The Thais home offers 3 bed and breakfast located in the historical centre of Arles. This situation allows you to stay in the heart of the city. The pedestrian area of the rocket retains its old-world authenticity with its flowery streets. 3 spacious rooms are largely of family furniture,…
Things to do
Etat des lieux
Present on the scene for more than 20 years, State of places puts forward the Art of the table, furniture, fixture and playful objects. With an area of 120 m2, you will find many brands in the different areas: Alessi, Kartell, Luce Plan and pylons coexist among other equally renowned for their…
Colors of Arles - The shirts of the gardian
This small family business has made a specialty of Gardian clothing, these guardians of Camargue manade: how Indian shirt, black velvet jackets, trousers in "Mole skin" adorned on the side with a thin black lace skirts covered... Models, the colors of Camargue and Provence, are entirely…
Sentier du Domaine de la Palissade
Propriété du Conservatoire du littoral, le Domaine de la Palissade s'étend sur 702 hectares au sud-est de l'île de Camargue, à proximité de l'embouchure du Grand Rhône et de la mer Méditerranée. La vocation du Domaine est la protection des milieux naturels et la sensibilisation du public…
Arlette est le Colette arlésien. Autrefois installé dans Le Magasin de Jouet (drôle de nom pour une galerie d’art), les jolies collections ont pris leur envol vers la rue de la Liberté. Les marques les plus pointues sont au rendez-vous : Kulte, Le Slip Français, les bijoux Alpha Beta ou…
I create made-to-measure Mireille costumes and the accompanying accessories. I work with passion so that you can take part in Provençal processions. You can choose from different types of lace made from cotton, muslin, tarlatan, cotton tulle and cotton fabric. I offer a large selection of…
Située dans le centre historique arlésien, la chapellerie Alexandre vous chapeaute en toute saison. Un belle sélection tendance et confortable vous est proposée, choisie au sein d'une dizaine de grandes maisons du chapeau. Messieurs, venez choisir votre chapeau de gardian en feutre de…
"Jewellery Pinus, is a family jewelry, creates en1860, specializing in jewelry Provencal.cette shop offers Provence, Camargue and contemporary jewelry in gold, silver, silver-gilt (Silver covered with a layer of gold)." These jewelry can be primarily set with garnets or rose-cut diamonds, but…
Where to eat
Hostellerie of the Source
Located a few minutes from the centre of Arles, a natural spring ("Source") has been happily bubbling away here since the 19th century in the tree-filled garden, bordering a swimming pool. This Mediterranean oasis, lined with weeping willows and oleander, offers feminine retakes on Provencal and…
Plaza (La Paillotte)
Restaurant very well located in the centre of the city of Arles. Near hotels, monuments, museums and the Foundation Van Gogh. The restaurant bathrooms with exposed stone walls and beams wood ceilings.The decoration of the restaurant is based on bullfighting and Provence. A beautiful shaded…
Garden Cafe - counter Calendal
The Garden Cafe is a counter of the Calendal offering on the spot or to take light meals: bio bread sandwiches, small dishes simmered in chinaramaiah, soups, salads, while freshness, sweets, selection of teas weddings brothers, capuccino, beers etc...Pause gourmande in the salons of le Calendal…
With classroom chairs and shared tables, the décor is, naturally, reminiscent of childhood canteens. The rest is more state-of-the-art: the reasonably-priced menu is the work of a Michelin-starred chef (Armand Arnal, of La Chassagnette), in a converted industrial building (the former SNCF…
Gueule du Loup
There are no bobbins to pull here and no latches to go up. This little house built in 1780 offers no danger to Little Red Riding Hoods all they have to do is choose between the two dining rooms, one facing the ground floor kitchen and the other with exposed stone walls on the first floor. There's…
Jean-Luc Rabanel workshop
Every gourmet knows his name: Jean-Luc Rabanel is one of the stars of French gastronomy and a major personality, who has been tending to his kitchen garden for over 30 years. A master of vegetables, spokesman for organic produce and pioneer of the "locavore" local food trend, this chef transcends…