Arles - Museum
Formerly known as the Grand Prieuré de l'Ordre de Malte (Grand Priory of the Order of Malta).
The Grand Priory was originally formed of two adjoining commanderies, each built around an inner courtyard. Of the Saliers commandery built in the 15th century, the southern façade of the inner courtyard, a superb vaulted hall on the ground floor and the large first floor room overlooking the river, which was used as a studio by Jacques Réattu, are still outstanding. The Saint Thomas commandery, which became the Grand Priory, was also built around an inner courtyard; this was made smaller in 1640 by the construction of a majestic grand staircase to replace the old spiral staircase. On each floor, loggias bordered with balustrades, opening onto the light of the courtyard, connect the rooms.
Built in 1503 with a street-facing façade, the late Gothic style chapel has a flat chevet topped with three vaulted bays with intersecting ribs and emblazoned pendentive keystones. The room above the chapel housed the archives. The northern main building, made more prestigious by the presence of the river, sums up the architectural history of the building. It has retained parts of mullioned windows and lattice work replaced by wide windows in the 18th century. The top of the façade reveals a mediaeval décor of crenellations and false machicolations adorned with superb gargoyles. The entrance door on rue du Grand-Prieuré, topped with a canted wall fronton, dates back to the 17th century.
The Knights of the Order of Malta (or the Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem) is a community of monks-soldiers founded during the crusades in the 11th century. The Order is divided into commanderies, grouped together by territory under the authority of the Grand Prior. The former commandery of Saint Thomas was built in 1358 after the destruction of the commandery founded in Trinquetaille in the 12th century. It became the Grand Priory in 1562, after the pillage of that of Saint Gilles during the Religious Wars.
It was rebuilt in the 17th century, primarily by one of its most famous Priors, Honoré Quiqueran de Beaujeu. A decree of 1615 ruled that the Grand Priors would live there. The commandery thus became the Grand Priory of the 48 commanderies of the language of Provence. The two buildings were seized in 1792 and sold as national assets to the collector and painter Jacques Réattu, in several sales between 1796 and 1827. His daughter, an heir with no descendants, sold the buildings and collections to the town for a life annuity; the town turned them into the Public Fine Arts Museum in 1868.
- Public car park
A free entry for Bouches-du-Rhône inhabitants with the My Provence Pass!See the offer
Information provided byOT Arles
Where to stay
Apartment in private and secure holiday residence (residence classified 3 stars). Furnished and equipped with all comfort for 4 persons (1 baby cot: cot on demand and high chair), air conditioned ground floor with terrace and free parking at a site 35 hectares with sports facilities. Living room…
Le Gite De Monplaisir
Cottage new, in a contemporary style, composed a very bright living room opening onto the large covered terrace facing South, with sofa BZ, bed 140, open kitchen (dishwasher), bathroom with toilet, mezzanine bedroom bed 140, plenty of storage.Services: shady garden with barbecue and sun…
Only 2 minutes from the historic city centre of Arles and 5 km from the first ramp our warm and welcoming hotel offers its 43 air-conditioned rooms with double bed or 2 single beds for 1 person.All our rooms are equipped with bathroom with shower and sanitary, a hairdryer, cable flat screen TV,…
To the Bibion
In Arles, close to the Camargue, in a quiet street of the village-like Roquette neighbourhood, Philippe welcomes you in calm and comfortable guest rooms. Located just minutes from major monuments and the best restaurants, the Bibion is also near the Ancient Arles Museum. Parking nearby.
House of charm on 3 levels, located in the old Center of the rocket, at the heart of a quiet and picturesque street, close to paying parking spaces from 9 h to 19 h and parking near the Museum District Arles Antique.Minimum 3 nights rental. Sheets are provided except in July and August:…
In the heart of Arles, 2 steps the arenas and the ancient Theatre, in a calm and relaxing setting, the Mireille hotel offers refined in a warm comfort. In summer, it is in the garden under the shade of the mulberry trees that you can enjoy your breakfast or the specialities of the chef which…
Things to do
Sentier du Domaine de la Palissade
Propriété du Conservatoire du littoral, le Domaine de la Palissade s'étend sur 702 hectares au sud-est de l'île de Camargue, à proximité de l'embouchure du Grand Rhône et de la mer Méditerranée. La vocation du Domaine est la protection des milieux naturels et la sensibilisation du public…
Closed on 1st January and 1st and 11th November. The island of Montmajour, from the Latin 'major' (larger), is surrounded by lakes and marshland and culminates at around 40 metres. It is on this site, at the gateway to Arles, that the first Benedictine community was founded in 949, inaugurating…
Cloister of St. Trophime
Date: 12th-14th century Era: Middle Ages Type: Religious architecture Status: Property of the Town of Arles, listed as a national Historic Monument in 1846 and 1943 and as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1981 Saint Trophime Cloister is at the centre of the canonical buildings of the episcopal…
Where to eat
Jean-Luc Rabanel workshop
Every gourmet knows his name: Jean-Luc Rabanel is one of the stars of French gastronomy and a major personality, who has been tending to his kitchen garden for over 30 years. A master of vegetables, spokesman for organic produce and pioneer of the "locavore" local food trend, this chef transcends…
Next to the bistro
This is Jean-Luc Rabanel's second star-rated establishment, serving friendlier-priced and more family-style food. The gourmet dishes are crafted with the expertise of one of France's greatest contemporary cooks. Traditional salt cod and stewed chicken take on a whole new lease of life here. The…
Hostellerie of the Source
Located a few minutes from the centre of Arles, a natural spring ("Source") has been happily bubbling away here since the 19th century in the tree-filled garden, bordering a swimming pool. This Mediterranean oasis, lined with weeping willows and oleander, offers feminine retakes on Provencal and…
Gueule du Loup
There are no bobbins to pull here and no latches to go up. This little house built in 1780 offers no danger to Little Red Riding Hoods all they have to do is choose between the two dining rooms, one facing the ground floor kitchen and the other with exposed stone walls on the first floor. There's…
Plaza (La Paillotte)
Restaurant very well located in the centre of the city of Arles. Near hotels, monuments, museums and the Foundation Van Gogh. The restaurant bathrooms with exposed stone walls and beams wood ceilings.The decoration of the restaurant is based on bullfighting and Provence. A beautiful shaded…
Meeting of traditional and regional recipes, restaurant gourmet Lou Marquès (renovated in 2014 by M Christian Lacroix) offers a classic, refined and tasty cuisine carefully prepared by our chefs.The restaurant's terrace turns into a bistro in the beautiful days and our garden near the swimming…