Arles - Monument
Closed on 1st January and 1st and 11th November.
The island of Montmajour, from the Latin 'major' (larger), is surrounded by lakes and marshland and culminates at around 40 metres. It is on this site, at the gateway to Arles, that the first Benedictine community was founded in 949, inaugurating eight centuries of monastic life. The monastery was gradually extended and enhanced and quickly became one of the most popular pilgrimage destinations in Europe, particularly during the Great Pardon of the Holy Cross, initiated in 1030. The many buildings on the site (convent buildings, cloister, chapels and tower) are of major architectural interest. A new monastery, built in the 18th century, gave the site a very different appearance, as it was inspired by grandiose and functional civil architecture. After many upheavals over the course of history, Montmajour Abbey is now undergoing restoration work, which is gradually revealing it to the curiosity of visitors. It has also become a prestigious exhibition site, particularly during the International Photography Festival.
Montmajour Abbey has two convent complexes. The construction of the first complex progressed from the 11th to the 15th centuries and began with Saint Peter's hermitage, which consists of two chapels, one of which is troglodyte. The 12th century saw the construction of the first abbey church which, although unfinished, is impressive due to its size, simplicity and beauty (its ogival vault dates from the 13th century). It includes convent buildings and Notre Dame church, built on a partly subterranean crypt, with a highly decorated Romanesque-style cloister. To the east, outside the monastery, is Saint Croix Chapel, which is reminiscent of a monumental reliquary. In the 14th century, a bell tower and a powerful defensive tower dominated the cloister complex. Its height of 26 metres allows a vast panoramic view, giving a better appreciation of the original natural site as well as the complex diversity of the buildings. Saint Maur Monastery, the second convent complex, built in the 18th century, was the work of the Avignon architect Pierre Mignard. Of the 28 windows on its vast southern façade, only four remain today.
The Benedictines owe their installation in 949 on Montmajour Island, a former Christian necropolis inhabited by a few hermits, to the Teucinde family, originally from Bourgogne. The Benedictines, who were organised as a regular monastic community, firstly under the patronage of Saint Peter, undertook a vast project in the 12th century which led to the first convent complex dedicated to Saint Benoît. A prosperous community and a very popular pilgrimage destination, Montmajour Abbey experienced several centuries of expansion and influence. However, in the 14th century, the establishment was placed under the commendatory system (granting of revenues to a secular ecclesiastic or layman), which led to its spiritual and material decadence. At the request of the Archbishop of Arles, and against the advice of the monks, the congregation of Saint Maur was entrusted with the restoration of the Abbey. The congregation took possession in 1639, re-established discipline and in 1703 began the construction of Saint Maur monastery. The abbey was secularised in 1786 and then sold as a national asset during the Revolution. The partly destroyed buildings were bought by the town of Arles in 1838 and listed as a national Historic Monument in 1845. They were restored by Henri Revoil under the Second Empire. The Abbey became State property in 1945.
The restoration work on the cloister, started by Revoil in 1862, was continued by Formigé between 1907 and 1955. The Maurist monastery was consolidated in 1921. However, the occupation of the buildings by German troops left them in a terrible state. A major restoration campaign was carried out between 1978 and 1988. The operations, which mainly involved the two monasteries, were intended to protect, secure and restore the existing buildings, with a view to welcoming the public and hosting exhibitions. In 1999, a new reception area was designed by the architect Rudy Ricciotti.
- Accessible for disabled
- Coach park, Private parking
- Internet access
Information provided byOT Arles
Route De Fontvieille
- 04 90 54 64 17
04 90 54 86 40
Where to stay
To the Bibion
In Arles, close to the Camargue, in a quiet street of the village-like Roquette neighbourhood, Philippe welcomes you in calm and comfortable guest rooms. Located just minutes from major monuments and the best restaurants, the Bibion is also near the Ancient Arles Museum. Parking nearby.
House in the historic town centre of Arles, quiet, pedestrian street (with garage). On the ground floor: living room (tv, sofa, 3 armchairs), dining room (with high chair for baby), kitchen (fridge, stove with oven, coffee maker, microwave, toaster), wc, private inner courtyard with garden…
Mas du Lion
1 room (20 m²) overlooks the garden with its large window, it has a 160 bed, air conditioning, fridge, micro wave, TV and Internet access, covered parking.Room 2 has a window which overlooks the garden, two beds 90. Possibility of an extra bed (€15).The bathroom is equipped with a large…
Eggplant red naturally is a comfortable house with 3 rooms of comfort, lifestyle and different prices. But it is also and above all an opportunity to share with you our knowledge about Arles Camargue er and make your stay with us a sweet moment of happiness. Minimum stay of 3 nights in season.
La Maison Bleue
Charming house in the historical and preservation centre of Arles, close to the Bullring and the Church of the Major. Its privileged location allows to enjoy walk from all historic monuments of the city and events (cultural, markets...).Located at the bottom of a small courtyard where reigns an…
Things to do
We have been cabinet-makers in Arles since May 1968 and specialise in the creation of 'antique-style', patinated, white-leaded and gold-leaf furniture; we respect beautiful furniture and its quality. We became interior designers by developing our design office to meet the requirements of the…
La Draille des 5 Gorges
Saintes Maries de la Mer
La draille des 5 gorges présente un condensé de paysages typiques de Camargue. Elle longe les étangs des Impériaux, du Malagroy puis du Vaccarès, qui abritent de nombreuses espèces d'oiseaux limicoles et de canards. Ce sentier permet de découvrir également les activités agricoles…
Formerly known as the Grand Prieuré de l'Ordre de Malte (Grand Priory of the Order of Malta). The Grand Priory was originally formed of two adjoining commanderies, each built around an inner courtyard. Of the Saliers commandery built in the 15th century, the southern façade of the inner…
The Château du Bois is a signature of excellence in the field of natural cosmetics. It offers a range of cosmetics 'made in France', and shares a universe of dream with the beautiful Lavender fields of the domain, a revelation for the senses, a legacy of work, expertise and passion. Cosmetic…
Cryptoportico of the Forum
Date: Late 1st century BC.Time: Antiquity Type: public Architecture of Community status: property of the city of Arles classified as Monument historique (1841) the Unesco World Heritage (1981).The cryptoportico form the bedrock, the invisible part of the forum, the Roman city's central public…
At the corner of the streets of Arles centre, come and discover this colourful and very nice decoration shop that combines successfully the very modern and Provençal. There are contemporary objects (vases, mirrors, cicadas, candles...) and memories more local color (bulls Wicker hanging on the…
Where to eat
With classroom chairs and shared tables, the décor is, naturally, reminiscent of childhood canteens. The rest is more state-of-the-art: the reasonably-priced menu is the work of a Michelin-starred chef (Armand Arnal, of La Chassagnette), in a converted industrial building (the former SNCF…
Catherine and Jean-Pierre Cote concoct local specialities in the rustic setting of this 18th-century sheepfold. Served by the fire or out on the terrace in summer, treats include the Alpilles lamb roasted with hay from La Crau (AOC), confit young rabbit with olive oil from the Moulin du Mas Saint…
Hostellerie de la Tour
The years seem to leave no mark on this classic Provencal address. Set at the foot of the Tour des Abbés, this ancient hay barn is home to a hotel-restaurant with pool and garden. An agreeable stop-off, where the chef delights guests with Provencal classics such as aubergine papetons, stuffed…
Meeting of traditional and regional recipes, restaurant gourmet Lou Marquès (renovated in 2014 by M Christian Lacroix) offers a classic, refined and tasty cuisine carefully prepared by our chefs.The restaurant's terrace turns into a bistro in the beautiful days and our garden near the swimming…
Plaza (La Paillotte)
Restaurant very well located in the centre of the city of Arles. Near hotels, monuments, museums and the Foundation Van Gogh. The restaurant bathrooms with exposed stone walls and beams wood ceilings.The decoration of the restaurant is based on bullfighting and Provence. A beautiful shaded…
Next to the bistro
This is Jean-Luc Rabanel's second star-rated establishment, serving friendlier-priced and more family-style food. The gourmet dishes are crafted with the expertise of one of France's greatest contemporary cooks. Traditional salt cod and stewed chicken take on a whole new lease of life here. The…
Gueule du Loup
There are no bobbins to pull here and no latches to go up. This little house built in 1780 offers no danger to Little Red Riding Hoods all they have to do is choose between the two dining rooms, one facing the ground floor kitchen and the other with exposed stone walls on the first floor. There's…