Space Van Gogh
Arles - Cultural place
Garden open and can be accessed freely during the day
Former Hôtel-Dieu, also called Hôtel-Dieu-Saint-Esprit.
Built in the 16th and 17th centuries, the vast quadrilateral of the Hôtel-Dieu has a two-fold context: a period of prosperity and modernisation by the town on the one hand, and a well affirmed tradition as a local hospital on the other hand. Three wings were raised in 1835 to open up new rooms following a serious cholera epidemic. At the end of the 19th century, the hospital received a remarkable guest, Vincent Van Gogh, who depicted the building in several of his paintings. The establishment was open until the 1970s-1980s. The disused hospital then underwent major renovation work to turn it into a broad-ranging cultural and academic site. During this time, excavations in the basement unearthed extremely interesting remains which added to the knowledge of the town all the way back to protohistory.
The buildings form a quadrilateral around a garden. The ground floor opens onto outside via arches which border a gallery walkway which is also present on the second floor. The façades are severe, with small openings, in keeping with the model for hospitals at the time; hospitals were closed places which must not transmit dangerous 'miasmas' to the outside world. The entire building was topped with wooden timbers (pieces fitted together to support the roof) and trusses (horizontal beams which support the oblique beams on the sides of the roof). The ground floor of the west building housed the ancillary services, including the kitchen fitted with a huge fireplace, the laundry, the linen room and other utilitarian areas. The main entrance to the hospital was on what is now rue Dulau. The solid wood door, rebuilt in 1587 by Antoine Pons, was made of pitch-pine (blend of pine species from North America). It is surrounded by two fluted Doric columns and topped with a triangular fronton. Above it, an inscription commemorates the date on which the building was constructed. This portal is listed as a Historic Monument.
In 1542, the Archbishop of Arles decided to close the town's 32 charitable establishments and bring them together into just one establishment in the town centre. This initial project remained on hold when the Prelate died. A land recovery policy was implemented, partly on the vast Trinitaires site. The first stone was laid in 1573. The construction of the Hôtel-Dieu spanned two centuries, the 16th century for the north and west wings and the 17th for the other two (work of Jacques Peytret). The work of the new establishment (welcome all sick people, abandoned children and orphans) could be carried out principally thanks to generous sponsors, tax revenue from the hospital and aid from the town. The staff consisted of laymen and monks, doctors, administrative and domestic staff and artisans. Two priests assisted the dying. From 1664, the care of the sick was entrusted to the Hospital Sisters of the Order of Saint Augustine. Vincent Van Gogh stayed there briefly in 1888 and 1889 and was treated by Doctor Félix Rey, before being interned in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. Major changes were made to the building in the early 20th century, when it was made to comply with sanitary standards. The Hôtel-Dieu continued to operate until 1974, replaced by Joseph-Imbert Hospital. In 1986, the last medical services left the site, which was then turned into a cultural centre.
In 1986, work began to strip the hospital and transform it into a vast cultural centre intended to house a media centre, the communal archives, the International College of Literary Translators (CITL), a university outpost, a vast exhibition room and a few shops. Following a competition, Denis Froidevaux and Jean-Louis Tétrel were appointed to carry out the renovation work. The two architects used their archive research and the discoveries of a pre-site to adapt their project to the history and original structure of the building. In addition to this structure and the site's mediaeval past, extremely productive excavations uncovered, among other things, a large Roman esplanade (confirming an unknown fact in the town's ancient urban fabric) and a protohistoric necropolis. During this vast operation, the door on rue Dulau was also restored by Férignac in 1988.
Information provided by OT Arles
Place Du Docteur Félix Rey
Where to stay
Nearby Arles, Camargue, Alpilles and Provence. Easy road access. Bus nearby. Free parking. Close to small neighborhood businesses. Located 2km from the city centre and 1.5 km of the Luma Foundation. The countryside to the city, free parking!Three guest rooms to rent in charming, with flowery…
Mme Riera Pascale
XVIIth century farmhouse completely restored on 40 hectares of land. 23 tricentenary plane trees will provide pleasant shade in summer. A beautiful swimming pool is at your disposal. We offer you peace and quiet as well as leisure choices. Located just one kilometer from the closest shops, the…
L ' Arlésienne
Between Camargue and Provence, this beautiful camping 3 * you welcome and welcomes you until 2 November. On-site: heated swimming pool and paddling pool, playground for children, evening entertainment and service restoration, is thought to make your stay more enjoyable! And to enjoy joys of…
LA MAISON BLEUE - N° 3277
Charming house in the historical and preservation centre of Arles, close to the Bullring and the Church of the Major. Its privileged location allows to enjoy walk from all historic monuments of the city and events (cultural, markets...).Located at the bottom of a small courtyard where reigns an…
SCI La Maison Molière
Large House of 500 m² in the heart of la roquette, private garage, a courtyard with arches, a large living room library and 5 bedrooms en suite (25 m²-35 m²). Air conditioning, wifi, TV in all rooms with beds of 180 x 200.The House can to privatize these bed and breakfasts are "Bed and…
Le paysage a inspiré Van Gogh
Beautiful ground floor housing with a surface area of 50 m 2, located 5 minutes from the heart of Arles. The place is punctuated in the summer by the quiet chirping of cicadas. The Spa/jacuzzi pool will come to cool off the hot summer day. The apartment is equipped with a quiet room (bed 160 x…
CLOS DES OLIVIERS - N° 3255
Furnished house located in a residential area (Trinquetaille) overlooking a shady place. It is surrounded by a garden with a barbecue complete garden furniture.It has upstairs 2 bedrooms (in one bed, 2 single beds in the other, a vast living room (with sofa bed), a kitchen, a bathroom, a separate…
Things to do
Jolie boutique de décoration qui sent bon le sud comme son nom l'indique. On rêve de maison de vacances au soleil et nos souvenirs d'enfance remontent en découvrant la sélection de pancartes, le coin des enfants, les textiles coloré, les tabliers, les boutis, la vaisselle.
" Arles in winter " special offer : 20% off on our entire stock (except for current sales or promotions) " Le Château du Bois " is a well-known brand of excellence in the realm of natural cosmetics. All their cosmetics are “made in France” and share a dream setting with the magnificent…
Location de vélos du Rodin
Offre "Arles en hiver" : Tarif VTC : 1/2 journée : 7EUR au lieu de 10EUR Journée : 10EUR au lieu de 14EUR Semaine : 60EUR au lieu de 80EUR En plus de son activité d'hôtel le Rodin propose de louer des vélos : VTC, vélo de ville, et même tandem ou vélo électrique. Avec un enfant ou un…
Actes Sud Cinemas
Actes Sud Cinemas (formerly 'Le Méjan Cinema') has been renovated and taken over new spaces in order to welcome the public and organise meetings with film teams. It now has three arthouse screens. The programme has strong links with the editorial policy of Actes Sud and promotes 'auteur cinema'…
The cellar of the flavours
In the cellar... Red wines, white wines, rosé wines, sparkling wines, non-sparkling wines, wines for pleasure, wines to quench your thirst, strong wines, wines from the Rhône Valley, Provence wines, wines for drinking and laying down, wines for novices and experienced wine-drinkers, wines from…
The Bouton d'Or
Bouton d'Or is a handcrafted clothing boutique. This old hosiery from the historical centre of Arles was taken over in June 2013 by two Nanceiennes designers who have turned it into workshop where they sell their production as well as other craftsmen in the region or their knowledge. All proposed…
Where to eat
Helena in the kitchen prepares traditional local cuisine, among other specialities such as bouillabaisse, the bourride lotte, aioli and prepared meals of grand mother, restaurant Saint Pierre is located in the city centre of Arles in the District of Trinquetaille, only the Rhone bridge isolates…
L'Épicerie du Cloître is a small multiple-function restaurant: it's open for aperitifs with friends, for lunch and dinner. The cuisine is simple, succulent, and dynamic. Tapas, local products, and regional wines: the menu wanders through the seasons. The seasonings travel from Provence to…
Jean-Luc Rabanel workshop
The workshop is a sensory Gallery where throughout the year Jean Luc Rabanel and his team present their culinary creations. The decoration is sober and contemporary, the service is simple, accurate and attentive. The head formed a team of young and dynamic professionals who closely reflect his…