Arles - Museum
Formerly known as the Grand Prieuré de l'Ordre de Malte (Grand Priory of the Order of Malta).
The Grand Priory was originally formed of two adjoining commanderies, each built around an inner courtyard. Of the Saliers commandery built in the 15th century, the southern façade of the inner courtyard, a superb vaulted hall on the ground floor and the large first floor room overlooking the river, which was used as a studio by Jacques Réattu, are still outstanding. The Saint Thomas commandery, which became the Grand Priory, was also built around an inner courtyard; this was made smaller in 1640 by the construction of a majestic grand staircase to replace the old spiral staircase. On each floor, loggias bordered with balustrades, opening onto the light of the courtyard, connect the rooms.
Built in 1503 with a street-facing façade, the late Gothic style chapel has a flat chevet topped with three vaulted bays with intersecting ribs and emblazoned pendentive keystones. The room above the chapel housed the archives. The northern main building, made more prestigious by the presence of the river, sums up the architectural history of the building. It has retained parts of mullioned windows and lattice work replaced by wide windows in the 18th century. The top of the façade reveals a mediaeval décor of crenellations and false machicolations adorned with superb gargoyles. The entrance door on rue du Grand-Prieuré, topped with a canted wall fronton, dates back to the 17th century.
The Knights of the Order of Malta (or the Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem) is a community of monks-soldiers founded during the crusades in the 11th century. The Order is divided into commanderies, grouped together by territory under the authority of the Grand Prior. The former commandery of Saint Thomas was built in 1358 after the destruction of the commandery founded in Trinquetaille in the 12th century. It became the Grand Priory in 1562, after the pillage of that of Saint Gilles during the Religious Wars.
It was rebuilt in the 17th century, primarily by one of its most famous Priors, Honoré Quiqueran de Beaujeu. A decree of 1615 ruled that the Grand Priors would live there. The commandery thus became the Grand Priory of the 48 commanderies of the language of Provence. The two buildings were seized in 1792 and sold as national assets to the collector and painter Jacques Réattu, in several sales between 1796 and 1827. His daughter, an heir with no descendants, sold the buildings and collections to the town for a life annuity; the town turned them into the Public Fine Arts Museum in 1868.
- Public car park
A free entry for Bouches-du-Rhône inhabitants with the My Provence Pass!See the offer
Information provided by OT Arles
Where to stay
Residence Club of Camargue
Club de Camargue Residence consists of small buildings on the ground floor or floor and offers studios or 2 rooms for 4 people: air conditioning, living room with sofa bed 2 people, TV, kitchen (dishwasher, microwave, washing machine, plates), bathroom with bath or shower and WC (separated in the…
Más de la Roseraie
Former Mas Provençal 'Logis' located less than 3 km from the city centre of Arles. We have 14 rooms all air-conditioned with most adapted for families. It must be said that children are Kings: playground, Park and large swimming pool with a small pool.Free wifi access, TV multi languages,…
Three guest rooms in villa with garden with trees and flowers.Breakfast included, sheets, towels provided.Very close to Arles (2.5 km from the centre, 1.5 km from the Luma Foundation). Combining the Camargue, Alpilles and Provence. Ideally located between Marseille, Montpellier, Aix en Provence,…
Le Loft Genive La Roquette
Beautiful loft full foot bright, renovated in respect of the sector saved, located in a lovely street pedestrian and quiet of Arugula, 2 not downtown, docks of the Rhone and of all trade. Fully equipped modern kitchen, bathroom with bathtub, a separate bedroom, sheets, towels, tea towels, free…
Ibis budget palais des Congrès
Our Ibis Budget hotel has 64 air-conditioned and soundproofed, modern rooms. This is the essence of comfort at low cost.Our hotel is located 3 minutes walk from the Museum of ancient and facing the Palais des Congrès.You can reach the centre of the old city on foot (20 minutes) or even take the…
Things to do
We have been cabinet-makers in Arles since May 1968 and specialise in the creation of 'antique-style', patinated, white-leaded and gold-leaf furniture; we respect beautiful furniture and its quality. We became interior designers by developing our design office to meet the requirements of the…
Theatre of Arles
To subscribe is easy and inexpensive. A subscription includes three minimum shows selected freely in category A, B or C. Two possibilities: individual subscription and the subscription group. Subscriptions can be taken throughout the season, 15 to 40% discount on the prices depending on the…
Space Van Gogh
Garden open and can be accessed freely during the day Former Hôtel-Dieu, also called Hôtel-Dieu-Saint-Esprit. Built in the 16th and 17th centuries, the vast quadrilateral of the Hôtel-Dieu has a two-fold context: a period of prosperity and modernisation by the town on the one hand, and a well…
Cloister of St. Trophime
Date: 12th-14th century Era: Middle Ages Type: Religious architecture Status: Property of the Town of Arles, listed as a national Historic Monument in 1846 and 1943 and as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1981 Saint Trophime Cloister is at the centre of the canonical buildings of the episcopal…
Where to eat
Garden Cafe - counter Calendal
The Garden Cafe is a counter of the Calendal offering on the spot or to take light meals: bio bread sandwiches, small dishes simmered in chinaramaiah, soups, salads, while freshness, sweets, selection of teas weddings brothers, capuccino, beers etc...Pause gourmande in the salons of le Calendal…
Helena in the kitchen prepares traditional local cuisine, among other specialities such as bouillabaisse, the bourride lotte, aioli and prepared meals of grand mother, restaurant Saint Pierre is located in the city centre of Arles in the District of Trinquetaille, only the Rhone bridge isolates…
Hostellerie of the Source
Located a few minutes from the centre of Arles, a natural spring ("Source") has been happily bubbling away here since the 19th century in the tree-filled garden, bordering a swimming pool. This Mediterranean oasis, lined with weeping willows and oleander, offers feminine retakes on Provencal and…
Gueule du Loup
There are no bobbins to pull here and no latches to go up. This little house built in 1780 offers no danger to Little Red Riding Hoods all they have to do is choose between the two dining rooms, one facing the ground floor kitchen and the other with exposed stone walls on the first floor. There's…
Thistle is a place of life, located sharing and Exchange in the centre of Arles at 35-37 rue des Arènes, main artery of the old centre.This is a Bistro/bar, which offers small plates, a selection of live wines and a map of original cocktails. Any offer is focused on the maximum use of local…